Saturday, June 16, 2012

Why I need a babysitter

Today is Saturday.  It is supposed to be my day to sleep in, and that didn't happen.  After several failed attempts to nap, I give up and ask the Hubs if we could go into Lowe's and buy some spackle and a putty knife so we can fill in some holes left from baby gate hardware and perhaps so we can buy a few of those little paint samples and test out some colors for our living room. 

Getting the kids around is always a chore, H.A. always whines, H.B. always runs around the house screaming in a very high, ear shattering decible and H.C. is always, always sitting right where you need to be going.  So, after getting everyone around and in the car, we finally get to the store and hear nothing but whinning and asking when we are going to go home and get pizza for dinner.  We get our paint samples and we get our putty knife and we order the pizza as we are leaving the store.

More non stop whinning all the way to the pizza place.  More non stop whinning while we wait for daddy to pick the pizza up.  Daddy returns to the car, only to hear me speaking in hushed "scary mommy" tone -- "if you both don't knock it off right now I am going to leave you outside the pizza place and hope a nice family takes you home" (of course I would never leave my lovies, but the threat is enough to momentarily stop the arguing). 

About half way home they go completely silent.... and I have to look because I'm worried one of them has found a way to jedi mind choke the other one.  Nope, they are all asleep!  All three of them are fast asleep in the back seat.  We get home,  H.B. goes straight to bed, H.A. comes in and goes back to sleep on the couch and H.C. wakes up and enjoys pizza with the rest of us.  However fun this might seem, H.C. is a very curious toddler and is into everything.  Those little holes we wanted to fill in will have to wait because she will be into the spackle like nobody's business.

This is why I need a regular, trustworthy babysitter.  If I had a sitter I could have them stay at home and leisurely stroll through the paint isle at Lowe's.  I could go to a nice restaurant for dinner with the Hubs instead of picking up pizza and coming home to eat.  I could go and see a movie in the theaters instead of waiting for everything to come out on blu ray.  In short, I am annoyed that I have lived here for two years and still don't have someone I can call to watch my kids, at my house, late into the night like I used to when I was younger. I have to drive the kids to my fabulous mother in law, who watches them for free, but then I feel rushed.  Like I need to hurry up and pick them up so I don't keep her up late or infringe upon her generosity.  And, she isn't always available because she has many other family requirements on her time and if she does have a weekend night to relax, I don't want to ask her to watch them because she deserves to relax too. 

I need a babysitter so I can have a relaxing night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment